I wrote this blog post early last year, and I feel like there’s no better time than now to upload it. Keep pushing, sis.
Been in a funk lately? Yeah, me too sis. This blog post is especially for you. xo
It seems like the rain won’t stop.
Physically and metaphorically.
I talked about this a little on my IG (pssst, follow me) and I thought I would also share it here.
Since the beginning of January, I’ve been experiencing a rainy season. Nothing was going right and I was angry, frustrated and sad for weeks. I’m not even exaggerating. I would fall asleep crying and wake up crying. It was not a good look for me and to be honest I was a tad bit concerned for myself.
I felt like I was stuck in a never-ending rainstorm with no umbrella.
But that’s not the point of this blog post. There are no pity parties over here. We reflect on it, learn from it, grow from it, and move on.
I try to be as transparent with you all as possible to show you things happen and we all go through stuff. None of us have a perfect life.
There’s no time limit to your rainy season and I don’t have a magic cure to pull you out of your storm. But I do want to share my go-to remedies to help pull my out of my funk or at least alleviate some of the stress from life.
I hope you find these as helpful as they have been for me!
- LISTEN! This one honestly confuses me. I never knew music could be so therapeutic. I just have to put on my ‘Feel Good’ playlist and in a matter of seconds, I am up, smiling, dancing around my room. Do y’all have a feel-good song? You know, that one song that no matter what can brighten your mood? For me, it’s Standing on the Sun Remix by Beyonce and Mr. Vegas.
Read a Book/Listen to an Audiobook
- Looking for book recommendations? I’ll be sharing my 2020 reading list next week, so be on the lookout for that post!
Take a Walk
- It could literally be just for a few (*cough* 30) minutes. Just get yourself moving, and if you can get out of the house and get some sunshine. If walking isn’t your thing and you’re missing the gym, like me, do a home workout. Need some suggestions for home workouts? Let me know down below and I’ll share some of my favorites on my IG stories this week. I promise, 30 minutes is all you need, sometimes even 15, and it will boost your mood (and snatch your waist).
- Empty your mind onto a page (or three). I always say I don’t have anything to write or don’t have a lot to say but baaaaaaby once I pick up that pen, the rest is history. I don’t like to think of myself as a writer but honestly, this is probably one of the most therapeutic out of this list.
Do something you love
- This could be either painting a canvas, petting a dog (don’t look at me crazy, if you’re a dog lover like me then you understand), or redecorate a room (Sorry sis, I hate to break it to you but Home Goods is closed).
Visit family or spend time with friends
- This has honestly been my saving grace, especially while quarantining right now. I have found myself Facetiming my friends and family a lot more than usual. While I literally C-A-N-N-O-T wait to see them in person again, I am grateful for just the ability to Facetime them. Sidebar: Have any of you tried the “virtual happy hour” thing yet? I keep seeing it and I’m dying to try it. Please share your experience, I need all the tea sis.
Cook yourself a meal/Take yourself out on a date
- Eat your favorite “cheat meal” or two because we’re showing ourselves grace this year. Do what makes your soul happy, sis.
Write out or read your list of affirmations
- Here are my top 4:
- He is working it out for my good.
- I am enough.
- It is well with my soul.
- I feel good. I look good. I WILL have a good day.
- Here are my top 4:
Take a drive
- I don’t know about you but I love a nice long drive. Something about me, the open road and my favorite song blasting through the speakers with my windows down always cheers me ups and helps me clear my mind.
Last, but not least. When all else fails…
Drink a glass (or bottle) of wine
- Hell, maybe two if you need it, sis. No one is judging anyone right now.
That’s my list, sis! You may notice some overlap from my self-care blog post because these really are my go-tos and honestly work for me. Oh, and in case you’re wondering, I try to intentionally plan some sort of self-care activity into my week at least 1-2x (sometimes more if I’m really feeling out of it). I think this is very doable even for the busiest of busy people.
What are your rainy day pick-me-ups? Is it drinks with the girls or maybe a glass of wine and a good movie? Comment down below and let me know! Love and light to each of you <3
Until next time,
P.S. If you are experiencing a rainy season in life, just remember…
1. You got this.
2. Stay the course. Don’t let what you’re going through break you.
3. You are strong and resilient. Remember there are some things you can only learn during the storm.