*This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link! However, all opinions are my own and I only recommend products I truly love. View our affiliate disclosure here*
Happy Sunday, Wanderers!
I shared my 2018 Holy Grails last month, but I realized I didn’t even mention make-up. Like what! Who am I?
If you know me, then you know I am a product junkie when it comes to all things hair, makeup, and skincare. #ProductJunkiesUnite lol. Through my vast experiences with various makeup brands, I have come across some good and some bad. To be honest, I might just lowkey be a makeup expert.
Anyway, in honor of the year ending (#16MoreDays), I thought it would be fun to share my Holy Grail makeup of 2018.
- BH Cosmetics – Flat Top Brush
- This brush comes as a part of their Signature Rose Gold brush set. I’m a faithful Beauty Blender or makeup sponge user or at least I was until I stumbled across this brush. I’ve never and I truly mean never have experienced a tool that could blend foundation so well. Whenever I’m traveling this is the first brush I pack; I can’t imagine doing my makeup without it. I even use it to blend out my concealers and contour. It helps bring the entire beat together and creates the most flawless face. If you take nothing else from this list, buy this brush.
- Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge
- This sponge is an oldie but goodie. After I blend out my foundation using the BH brush, I’ll go over it with my damp sponge (emphasis on damp) to make sure the foundation MELTS into my skin. Yes, I own a couple Beauty Blenders but I still pick up the RT sponge before them every time. If you’re trying to decide between the two brands, I would suggest the RT sponge without hesitation.
- IT Cosmetics Foundation Brush
- If my BH brush is dirty, then I’ll pick this one up instead. I use to use this brush faithfully last year but for some reason, I just started to pick it up less. It’s a GREAT brush (I even bought it for my sister) but it probably would have made my 2017 list.
- NYX – Angel Veil: Skin Perfecting Primer
- I was on the search for a new primer because y’all my skin is disrespectful. Like the oils that seep from my skin are next level, I needed a SUPER-EXTRA matte primer. One of my favorite YouTubers (*cough* Naturally Sunny) recommended Angel Veil and I’ve been obsessed ever since. I noticed if I don’t use my Angel Veil primer, my makeup doesn’t go on nearly as smooth as it does with it. Does it help control my oils? Not as much as one of the other primers I’m going to mention later but I do enjoy it for its smoothing effect.
- Fenty – Pro Filt’r Instant Retouch Primer
- Is there a limit to how many primers you’re supposed to put on? No? Okay, great because I legit put on like 3. Y’all know Rihanna is #BAE so of course, Fenty Beauty was going to make my list. I put on Pro Filt’r after I put on Angel Veil but I put it everywhere except my forehead and eyebrows. My skin feels supple and moisturized after putting on this primer. I don’t think it does a good job keeping me matte which is why I put it on the areas of my face that are less oily but it does make my makeup application more flawless.
- Becca – Ever-Matte Poreless Perfecting Primer
- If you are oily, you NEED this primer. Now I’m going to warn you, this thing will dry you out. A little bit goes a LONGGGGGG way. I just take the smallest of small dabs on the tips of two of my fingers on put it on the oilier parts of my face (forehead, nose, and eyebrows). I tried putting this on the more normal parts of my face and I got dry patches. It’s v. potent so use with caution. A little dab on my forehead and eyebrows keeps me shine free for about 8 hours. If I had to choose one of the three primers, I couldn’t lol. But I could choose two and it would be the Angel Veil and Becca if you have oily skin and the Angel Veil and Pro Filt’r if you have normal/dry skin.
- Estee Lauder – Double Wear
- I went to Ulta one day because I needed a foundation to last me throughout the day. I was recommended this foundation and while I like it a lot (I’ve been using it off and on for about a year now), I was not matched correctly so it takes a lot of manipulation to make it work for me. Nonetheless, you should try this foundation if you have an event coming up and you need your makeup to lasts all day. Somedays I’m just like YOLO and still put it on and I love how it applies and sets. Would I purchase it again? Probably not because I prefer more affordable products, and it’s not often I need my makeup to last 12 hours or more.
- Maybelline – SuperStay
- World Stop. If you’re on a budget and want a bomb foundation for less, look no further. This foundation is one of my favorites, if not my favorite foundation and I recommend it to everyone. I started off using their regular Matte + Poreless foundation but after hearing all the hype around the SuperStay foundation, I decided to check it out. Yall, it’s worth the hype. I love this foundation and I’m confident you will too, sis. Name a better matte, medium to full coverage drugstore foundation? I’ll wait.
- Fenty – Pro Filt’r Matte Longwear
- Caution: Carefully and I mean carefully match yourself for this foundation. I tried a couple of samples before I finally purchased this foundation. I’m not just saying this because I love Rihanna but y’all this is a good foundation. It’s not the foundation you grab it you’re trying to SPACKLE your face but for a more nice, subtle natural beat. It’s buildable but definitely more so a medium coverage than full coverage. Nonetheless, if I just want to look cute for the day or I don’t have a major event to attend, I will usually gravitate towards this foundation.
- ColourPop – No Filter
- Y’all. Y’all. Y’all. The quality of this product for the price of it, ahhhmazing. Honestly, this is one of the best concealers I’ve tried to date. Honestly, my favorite would have to be LA Girl, which I didn’t include because I didn’t really use it this year, but the ColourPop concealers are a close second if not 1.5. I use them not only as a highlighter/concealer but also to prime my eyes. They are versatile and bomb. Just go ahead and drop a couple in your cart now.
- Note: I would suggest you let them sit for a little bit so the consistency can thicken up before you blend. If you don’t, it’s fine but the consistency is a little more watery. Now I know they changed their formula or shades recently but I haven’t repurchased since then so the consistency may have changed.
- Nars – Creamy Radiant
- This is an OG right here. Y’all this is a good concealer HOWEVER, for the amount of money you pay and the amount of product you get just doesn’t match up. But that’s just my opinion. I’m still going to buy it but it’s my “special occasion” concealer lol.
- Makeup Revolution – Conceal & Define
- Now this one is new for me. I recently purchased this one a few months ago but I’ve been using it every time I’ve put makeup recently. This one had a lot of hype around it earlier this year and many people said it was a dupe for Tarte’s Shape Tape. Now I never purchased Shape Tape but this is a good concealer. I typically put this one on first, blend it out and then put my ColourPop on top of it to make my under eyes pop a little more.
- Fenty Beauty – Match Stix
- If I have a little bit of time and I want to beat my face a little, I will use the contour stick from the set. The blend of this stick is BOMB and you only need a little swipe for it to do its job. I know the tubes look small but I’ve had mine for about a year now and I still have quite a bit of product left.
- Note: I would definitely recommend you buy the Match Stix Trio set over them individually. The sets are pre-packaged and sold based on your foundation shade (ex. 100s, 200s, etc.).
- Black Radiance – True Complexion Contour Palette
- On a typical day, I’m quite okay with just using a powder contour. I set my contour with the darker powder in this palette. Y’all this palette is BOMB. I know I say this a lot but this palette not only has a contour shade, but an all-over powder (that’s great BTW) AND a highlighter (that’s subtle but so cute). If I’m traveling and limited on space, I will pack this palette because it’s three products in one slim package. You can find this palette at Target or Walgreens typically. You definitely want to purchase this. Oh and lately I’ve been loving a subtle eyeshadow, honestly basically no shadow lol. I’ll typically swipe the darker shade over my eyes for my eyeshadow and move on with my day. It’s so versatile.
- L’Oreal – Infallible Pro-Matte Powder
- Now this powder I have to keep in my collection. I’ve repurchased it a couple of times now because it’s so great. If I want my face to be a little warmer, I’m put this all over my face. I guess this is my bronzer? Idk, I would like to think it warms my skin up. It’s hard to put into words what I actually use this for but I just know I use it whenever I put on makeup because it just does a little something for me lol. I hope that makes sense. If the Black Radiance palette is too dark or bold for you, then this powder can also serve as a contour shade or a bronzer.
- L’Oreal – Telescopic
- I know there are two different Telescopic mascaras, however, I ONLY use the carbon black one. I can’t attest to the greatness of the regular one, sorry, but that carbon black one is boyyyyyyy. This mascara is great. I use it first to help separate, define and lengthen my struggle lashes. If I’m traveling, this is coming along because I can’t live without it. I do like my lashes to look a little thicker and clumped together, so I have to use it with another mascara, which brings me too…
- Too Faced – Better than Sex
- Is it better though lol? I think that’s still up for debate but it’s a bomb mascara. I apply this after the Telescopic and listennnnnn they give my struggle lashes all the life they need. It’s so good I have it in the full-size and a travel size now because I refuse to lose it while traveling (again). This mascara paired with the Telescopic is enough for me and I don’t usually need falsies. On the rare case I decide to wear false lashes, it’s only because I’m really trying to pop out because these two are honestly enough to make your eyes and lashes pop.
- Maybelline – Great Lash
- So I went to Ulta one day and I received this as a free gift. Listennn, I’m still trying to get every drop of product out of that little bottle because it’s THAT good! I don’t know if it’s the applicator or the actual product but I love this mascara and how it brings life to my struggle lashes. Honestly, if you’re looking for a bomb drugstore combination then get this with the Telescopic and your lashes will be on fleek! Are we still using fleek or did we retire it in 2017 lol? Anyway, moving on…
- L’Oreal – True Match Super Blendable Blush
- Yes, there is only one because I can honestly say I’ve only used one blush all year. I stumbled across this blush randomly in Walgreen’s (like always) and I’ve been in love ever since. Now, I can’t speak for all the shades in this collection but the Spiced Plum shade is ahhhhhhh! This is THE shade for all my pecan tan, caramel, cocoa babies. It’s not too pink and adds a subtle rosiness to your cheeks. It’s very natural but still completes any makeup look.
- Maybelline – FaceStudio Master Chrome Metallic Highlighter
- Fenty Beauty – Match Stix: Shimmer Stick
- I know this is different, but I can’t talk about these two separately. This combination is my go-to, almost signature look. I apply the Shimmer Stick first, blend it in and then go on top of it with the Master Chrome (Molten Gold). The Shimmer Stick (Sinamon) is very natural and gives a natural, subtle glow. The Master Chrome is definitely buildable and can be used by itself. It blends nicely and will undoubtedly give you the right amount of glow. HOWEVER, for me personally, I love using these two together because they create the perfect highlight color for me.
- Jordana – Fabubrow Eyebrow Pencil
- Thank you Walgreen’s (and my best friend). Y’all I found this brush in a crisis lol. I traveled all the way home, had a major event to go to and my go-to eyebrow pencil was empty. I didn’t realize before I left that I had used all the product out of the pencil. I was hurt. Well, that was until I went to Walgreen’s and my best friend told me to get this one. I’ve tried several eyebrow products and my main issue was they were good but as the day went on and my skin got a little oily, the product would get so dark, like black dark. It was not cute, okay. This product is way affordable (like under $5) and lasts a long time. It’s not too dark but buildable, it’s blendable and lasts all day without getting darker. Now, don’t get me wrong I love this pencil and it has officially become a must-have in my makeup collection but it’s nothing compared to this next product…
- Benefit – Precisely, My Brow Pencil Ultra-Fine Shape & Define (Holy freaking Grail)
- If you get no other product from this list, GET THIS PENCIL. I’m pretty sure I’ve said that before but just know those products are v. good. I can’t even put into words how much I love this eyebrow pencil. It’s the perfect product for a natural brow. If you like more of a defined or #instabrow, then I wouldn’t recommend this product but definitely try one of Benefit’s other brow products. This pencil doesn’t give off too much product with each stroke so you can build your brow to your liking. It creates the perfect natural brow, stays matte all day, and doesn’t darken as the day goes on. I bought this pencil twice, but this grad school budget didn’t allow me to re-up on it a third time so I’ve been trying to thug it out without it. That’s how you know it’s real. I’ve been without it for almost six months or so and I’m still thinking about this product. Needless to say, before the new year I will be buying this pencil (maybe two) again.
- Maybelline – Fit Me Loose Finishing Powder
- I’ve tried Laura. I’ve tried Sacha. But honestly, they have nothing on Maybel (aka Maybelline). This has been my signature baking powder since January or February and I’ve been obsessed since then. They have a shade for several skin tones, I’m v. hesitant to say every skin tone but they have a good range. This powder is not only affordable but offers no flashback and I mean zero flashback and is super lightweight. I find some setting powders to be very thick (I hope that makes sense) and if you don’t dump some of the product off first, it gets cakey and creates dry patches. I don’t get that with this product and although the packaging is smaller in comparison to some of the more popular powders, you still get a lot of product for your money. If you’re in the market for a new setting powder, definitely give this one a try and let me know what you think about it.
- Maybelline – Fit Me Set + Smooth Pressed Powder
- Y’all seriously do not sleep on Maybelline. They have everything and are not only affordable but produce quality and I mean Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y products. From their mascara to their foundation to their powders, they have it all and are one of the most reliable and trusty brands out there. *ends rant* Okay, so let’s get into this powder. I know you’re probably like why does sis need two powders? I was thinking the same thing initially but they honestly do two different things. The loose powder is what I use first to bake and help set my concealer. The pressed powder comes around towards the end of my routine when I want to set all the areas I have concealed/highlighted. It helps brighten those areas and honestly smoothes out the area to create a flawless face. Do you really need both? Yes. That is all. Thank you, next.
That’s a wrap y’all but I want to further this discussion a little more. Have you tried any of the products I mentioned, if so what did you think about them? What were some of your favorite makeup products this year? What products are you excited to try in 2019? Comment down below and let me know, maybe some of your suggestions will make my 2019 list.